Dark Willow Fan Art (Huion H420) MIRESKA SUNBREEZE

Okay.


I'm not really good at making digital art, since I do not have any pen tablets.

Well, I didn't have any, until last month.

I received my first pen tablet this July 16 (my Birthday).


It was a Huion H420, The cheapest pen tablet that became really famous because of its efficacy compared to its price. (Here in the Philippines, Php 1499 through Lazada)

Honestly, as a beginner in digital art, the pen tablet was pretty easy to set-up and use. The CD installer was outdated though, so I had to download the drivers form the website.


Also, I needed a battery for the pen, and it is not included in the kit. It just needs an AA battery, so it was easy to find (I used our Remotes batteries hehe)

---------------


So as for the subject of my first digital art using my own tablet, I thought of doing much simpler drawings, like a chibi version of myself or something.

But, due to one game play that I thoroughly enjoyed, I skipped the thought of doing basic art works and settled on creating a DOTA 2 Fan Art.

I am a support main (Winter Wyvern and Dark Willow are my Baes). I had to choose one first, and you guessed it, it was Dark Willow, the bastard daughter of a Fae Merchant King.



Anyway, it took me around 30 hours in total to finish this fan art.

The details in Dark Willow's clothing are very not beginner-friendly. I had a difficult time to search for the design because I wasn't able to find any solid reference except for my screenshots of Dark Willow's model in the DOTA 2 client.

Anyway, I started with creating a gray-scale drawing of Mireska Sunbreeze since I wanted the final art to become a bit realistic.

It started out in applying 50% gray and worked my way up the brightest shades of gray.



I tried testing out how to color her properly, so I created a new layer, set the blending mode to multiply and tried to color her face.

Knowing that things will work well, I set the layer to invisible and continued finishing the gray-scale.

 I added some darker grays for the edges where shadows are supposed to be present, and cleaned out the edges where light hits.


I repeated that method until I finished the whole body  (the wings were made in a separate layer)

Then, I started continuing the coloring.
In order to Add lighting, I added a layer, set it to color dodge, and added the lighting.


I sampled a a color to see if it would be a nice to use for the color dodge.
I finished the body and proceeded doing Jex and the cage with the same method. I also added a layer of color dodge to place appropriate lighting.
Here is the semi-final look, but I noticed that the left eye is misaligned and the hand looks very flat.
I used liquify and adjusted smaller details.

Voila! My first Dark Willow Fan Art.

It was fun, but tiring, especially since I just played a while ago and got a losing streak.


Anyway, see you soon.


Alapaap, signing out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My own Character - Alapaap

Semi-realistic guy drawing